Friday, June 14, 2013

Father’s Day- What are a Father’s Greatest influences?

I came across an article today that got me thinking as a wife, mother, sister, aunt and daughter. What were your father’s greatest influences? My dad and I have not always seen eye to eye. We are very much so the same person when it comes to being independent, stubborn and head strong, but as I have gotten older and developed into my own woman I see a lot of positives in a different light.
So in honor or Father’s day I have put together a list.
  • He encouraged my talents, whether they were school, drama, ballet, cheerleading or playing sports, he encouraged me to try hard and I always had to finish what I started, even if I hated it. I was not allowed to quit until my commitment was over.
  • With my passion for sports he always let me handle my work ethic and determination on my own. If I had a problem at practice, in a game or with a coach he did not get involved. He never got involved with my coaches or other parents on political issues. I had to prove myself to others through my actions and earn my own playing time, recognition and credit.
  • He challenged me to back up my opinions with facts.
  • He didn’t compare me to my sisters, I was my own individual.
  • He taught me as a woman to do yard work, start a lawn mower, pick up an earthworm and bait a hook and get my hands dirty.
  • He worked really hard to support and provide for our family.  His hard work allowed us to be given the opportunities to go to private schools, have a summer home, go on vacations, pay for college so we didn’t have student loans and give us a sense of financial security as a family.
  • He taught me that I can have anything I want in life but it is not going to come free, I will have to put in the hours and hard work to get what I want, but I can achieve anything.

Thanks dad for helping mold me into the woman I am today!

No comments:

Post a Comment